Three of my closest friends are best left alone in the mornings until they have had their morning coffee. One of my friends likes to get up, have coffee and read the paper. Another likes to get up, have coffee and go through the notifications on her phone. The third likes to get up, have coffee and snuggle with her pets. I used to show up a friends house with a mocha because you didn’t dare talk to her without her having her coffee first. The thing is, all of them have a routine. A pattern to their mornings.
My topic of the day is “Your Ideal Morning Routine”. When I thought about this I wondered what my morning routine was. I hadn’t actually stopped to think about it before. So today, I wrote down my morning routine:
- Hit the snooze button. Yes. I set my alarm 15 minutes early and hit the snooze button. It tricks my mind into thinking I got to sleep in.
- Drink some water. I keep a glass of water by my bed and I often drink water through the night if I wake up but I always drink my water before I get out of bed.
- Bathroom time. You know the routine. Bathroom, Brush my hair, Wash my face, brush my teeth. *Shower and make up if I am going out for the day.
- Coffee or Tea depending on my mood. I was drinking an apple cider vinegar and honey tea every morning but I’ve kind of let it lax.
- Sound. I work from home and often I am the only one home so I like sound in the house. I turn on the Television (something I don’t necessarily care to watch) or Pandora and I listen to music.
- Take stock of my day. This is my list time. I make either a mental list or an actual written list of the things I need to do for the day. Since I work from home that list also includes daily activities around the house like dishes, laundry, cleaning, and watering plants.
- I actually don’t eat until closer to 10 am and by then I am usually in the groove of whatever project I am working on.
This is my routine. My basic daily morning activities. I don’t feel like I need to do any of these things to start my morning off right so sometimes it is hard for me to understand when a friend says they need silence and coffee for their day to start but hey, who am I to complain about what one person needs to get their engine revving in the morning?